Today was the final day of StarCraft at the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship in Katowice – and it was a corker. With the first prize portion of the US$150,000 prize pool and 10,000 WCS points as well as a WCS Global Playoffs seed only a handful of matches away, who would take the title this year?
Two of the WCS Winter Championship semifinalists were not going to let this chance slip away from them. Determined from the outset, Polt defeated his opponent Nerchio with little contest, while Snute’s intense series versus Hydra was close and hard-fought throughout.
- Semifinal 1: Polt vs. Nerchio – 3-0
- Semifinal 2: Snute vs. Hydra – 3-1
The WCS Winter Championship final was an incredibly exciting series – be sure to check out the VOD! However, despite Snute’s determined resistance, in the end it was Polt who emerged victorious to take his fourth world championship title.
- Grand final: Polt vs. Snute – 4-2
And thus the thrilling WCS Winter Championship competition comes to a close. There were some incredible games and amazing performances in Katowice, but in the end Polt fulfilled his promise – congratulations to our new champion!
If you missed out on any of the action at the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship, you can find all our recaps of the previous days below as well as check out the VODs here.
- Decisive victories and close calls in day one of the WCS Winter Championship
- Day two of the WCS Winter Championship sees favorites fight to advance
- Eight become four in the WCS Winter Championship quarterfinals